A new type of air motor was the inspiration for the founding of FIMAC S.p.A. in 1921.
In 1925 the production was extended to other compressed air machines.
In 1930 production of a new series of aeronautical products started: Ignition with automatic heat rating (developed and patented by FIMAC), complete with air navigation systems including vacuum pumps, valves and manifolds for gyroscopic systems and fuel pumps. These products were fitted to the fleet of seaplanes commanded by General Italo Balbo, that flew across the Atlantic in 1933. The technology of these products was so advanced that for many decades (certainly until the ’70s) the Italian Engineer’s Handbook “Colombo” called the vacuum pumps for gyroscopes “the FIMAC pump”.
From 1932 FIMAC provides pumps for oil and fuel for Bristol Pegasus engines to Alfa Romeo.
From the ’50s the beginning of the production of propeller pitch regulators for Piaggio, which lasted over 20 years.
In the ’60s came the design and use of the RAM air turbine technology, including RAM air turbines designed and developed by FIMAC. The wind tunnel was built for testing.
In the same period FIMAC participated in the Viper engine program and the production of the BFCU (Barometric Fuel Control Unit).
In the early ’70s came our International breakthrough with the Tornado, a co-production between Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany. As a result, FIMAC designed and manufactured three major hydraulic parts, after beating the other, international competitors.
In the second half of the ’70s, FIMAC develops and produces a variety of new types of product, such as high pressure hydraulic pumps, landing gear controls and a new generation of pressure switches.
In the ’80s, FIMAC expanded its scope to environmental conditioning systems because research in previous years has led the company to develop considerable expertise in thermodynamics and dynamics of gasses and vapours, resulting in the invention of a new technology called MVX applying the theory of multivortex flows. The most important application consists of a system operating independently from the supply of electrical power from the aircraft, being the ram air flow source of power needed for the system to function.
This concept has been exploited for several applications involving ventral and underwing pods containing ECM avionics and electro-optical IRW systems.
The nineties marked another important milestone in the history of FIMAC, first with the EFA program, in which the company won international competitions for two important accessories for the hydraulics and the thermal control system of the Eurofighter pod. Production began in 2002.
Since 1995 FIMAC became an independent player on the world market and was awarded the first contracts in civilian programs for business jets, with the company that builds the IAI Gulfstream G150 and the G200. These contracts were for the provision of actuators for the rudder and the airbrakes.
In 1999, Fimac becaome a business with 100% of the shares owned by women – a true women-owned business.
During the last decade, FIMAC has consolidated its market position in international military equipment, acquiring various orders for reconnaissance pod ECS systems fitted to the Saab JAS 39 Gripen, F16 and Sukoi SU 30 aircraft and has successfully competed for other civil aircraft hydraulic systems for new vehicles developed by IAI / Gulfstream and Bombardier / Learjet.
We are driven by two things: our customers’ requirements and our desire to improve on the designs and developments we have already made.